I’ve drunk the cool-aid.
Last week I got my 15” Mac Book Pro and it’s a really awesome machine. OS X is really nice and all the apps pretty much just work. Took a little getting used to at first, but I’ve more or less got the feel of it. Still getting confused with what is effectively 5 meta keys (Apple/Alt/Ctrl/Fn/Shift) a bunch, but time will solve that. Plus I get BSD under the hood, so I can install all my favorite (and necessary) tools for work via Fink. Some software that I’ve found useful so far (aside from FireFox):
- NeoOffice (OpenOffice done “right” for the Mac … Hopefully it doesn’t stall a real native OpenOffice for Mac … not the X windows based OpenOffice for OSX mind you)
- VLC - For playing media that quicktime doesn’t like.
- TextMate - “Programmers” editor. (Not Free)
- CrossOver Mac - So I can play EVE under OS X :-) (Not Free)
- Adium - Nicer in some ways than iChat … less so in others
- Quicksilver - Just a great utility that does so much. If you don’t like reaching for the trackpad or a mouse download it and try it.
- Witch - Ctrl+Tab through all of your open windows
- Growl - Bubble alerts for various apps.