So, for me last year was really 2008 & 2007. I never really took the time to slow down at the end of 2007 and reflect on the year. I just ended up rolling right into 2008.
At the time I was building clusters for Engine Yard, among other duties. That combined with a new baby and crazy travel schedule made for very little time during the holiday season for anything but a brief visit with my mothers on x-mas day to open presents with the kids and have breakfast.
So long story short, the last year, for me at least, was really two years. Two very mixed years.
- Interlix was going strong.
- I started working for Engine Yard in June of 2007 as a contractor.
- Mia was born on July 3rd, 2007.
- I got my current bike, a Triump Sprint ST, after successfully selling my Victory on eBay.
- Geekerz was still around.
- I played EVE occasionally, at least until I started working for EY and I pulled myself out of Geekerz.
- With Engine Yard’s help, I moved to Sacramento, CA, escaping Missouri after a little more than 6 years there.
- I rode my motorcycle out to CA from MO.
- New house in Sacramento, CA. With a hot tub.
- Got to see my extended family at my mother’s funeral.
- Met tons of interesting people by way of Engine Yard.
- My mother died of complications due to brain cancer.
- Vapor (aka Daniel Feather) died in a motorcycle accident.
- Joey died of complications due to cancer.
- I moved to Sacramento, CA, not the bay area.
- Still have my house in Republic, MO
- Couldn’t sell Interlix, ended up closing it down.
- Not much time for family given my work schedule. But that’s the life of working for a startup.
- Paying my brothers rent.
What were your pros and cons of 2008?